Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Deep in the heart of Texas

I am writing tonight from Jasper, Texas, about 25 miles from Bon Wier where we will build the new home with Faye Adams. I have spent the last two days driving down here, and thoroughly enjoyed the 70 degree temps and sunshine this afternoon. I will miss many things about living in northern Indiana, but the winter perma-cloud is not one of them.
I am excited about getting this project started. I have talked with many of the volunteers who are coming down, and will spend the next few days making ready for the build to begin on Monday. I spoke with Faye and her mother, Winnie, today, and they are very excited! They are promising to cook "soul food" lunches for everyone. It sounds great to me! They mentioned cabbage greens, pork hocks, and boiling lots of turkey necks. Hmmm-look out cholesterol.
Laurie and I are adjusting to a telephone relationship for a while. It's tough, but temporary. I miss her, though. I have tried to internalize the idea that I won't be going "home" again, but my mind and heart just won't accept the idea yet. I guess that shift will come when Georgia begins to feel like home. I'm realizing that "home" is really a state of mind (and heart and soul) rather than a place determined by an address or a collection of things. I guess I've always known that, but it is very real to me now. We never stop learning, do we.

(I tried to load some images, but the internet service here is too slow-will try again tomorrow)

3 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is Sunday 1/8 afternoon as I type this. The sun is out on one of the two few days here in January. It is a very nice day here although 70's sound awful nice.
I wish I could come swing a hammer and smell the newness of a house being built.
Take care my freinds.
terry

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Set Your Sails said...

1/9/06 - You are probably at the worksite right now--how exciting! You must post pictures when you have the time.

It sounds very cliche-ish, but I do believe that home is where the heart is. It must be an especially big adjustment for you since you will be traveling directly to Georgia after this. But I think you'll find that no matter where you end up going, Indiana will always be home (whether you have a house there or not!). Just as, no matter where I live, California is always home to me.
-Mayra

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark!
Just taking a break from work to read your blog. Nice update. You look fatter on TV. Glad you where only on for a second or two. LOL.
If you think you miss Lori, you should have heard her talking Sunday! Going to have to lock you both in a room for a day so you can get back to being 40-something! Take care my friend
Curt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home